Friday, October 23, 2009

I'll never buy Acer again


I was looking for a recommendation for a replacement to my noisy (linux) server, my requirements:

  • super quiet, hardly know it's on

  • small, don't need monitor, keyboard, mouse, have all that if needed

  • reasonably priced

  • run squeezebox server

  • use it as a print server so all machines in the house could print


some forum advice recommended an Acer Aspire easystore H340. Jumping on to the Acer website and looking for online dealers I found what I thought was the recommended machine. I bought it impulsively without enough research.



There was no information about connecting to it by remote desktop / installing software and the firmware was over 2 years old so I started looking at the Acer site and posted some support tickets. I was blown away to get some strange responses including:





I had left it a few days after getting the package to open it and after the first day of playing with it I got in touch with the supplier, cclonline who told me since it was 8 days since it was shipped and I had only 7 days to return, that I was out of luck.

A week later I finally realised ,after talking with cclonline support, that I had not bought what I thought and it was a NAS box which did not have Windows Home Server running but en embedded Linux system. cclonline agreed to take it back for a restocking charge of 10%. The killer was the brutal Irish postal system as it cost me €47 to return (€42 with no insurance).

No comments:

Post a Comment